Where exactly is the best live comedy in North Wales?
There are three very different settings for live comedy in North Wales.
The first is in the larger venues of the region, where you see touring shows by comedians who usually toil at the dangerous coalface of mainstream TV panel shows - Glyndŵr University Events does this very well and regularly, but Theatr Clwyd, Venue Cymru, Theatr Colwyn, Pontio and Galeri (Caernarfon) all have these acts in their listings. You will tend to get what you pay for with these shows, but it is always worth checking reviews to avoid disappointment, as small screen charm and wit does not always extend to a stage, especially in a larger hall.
The second is at a festival, which for North Wales means Machynlleth Comedy Festival - held at the end of April of every year - with big names and some early Edinburgh preview shows, it uses multiple venues across the town and is a must. Unlike a music festival you buy tickets for the individual shows you want to see, but they are mostly very reasonably priced.
Which brings us to the comedy clubs, of which, fortunately, North Wales has some of the best that can be found; these six are the road tested best, two organised by comedian and promoter Silky through Kill for a Seat Comedy, and three independently run in more intimate settings, but equally good in all respects:
- 3rd Space - A new, Great Orme Brewery run, small venue with regular comedy [Llandudno]
- Blue Sky Cafe: Bimonthly comedy club, with Blue Sky's excellent food a bonus [Bangor]
Llangollen Pavilion: run jointly by Kill for a Seat with Radiant Events this club has a great room and atmosphere. Usually the last Friday of the month, you can see who is coming, and when, here. [Llangollen][Club Now Deceased]
- Theatr Clwyd: long established monthly club, again in a good space - run by usually on the first Thursday of the month - you can see the listings here. [Mold]
- Tŷ Golchi: Comedian Tudur Owen is involved in the running of this restaurant, and often has a comedy club night, recently hosted by the very funny, quick witted MC Danny Mcloughlin. Great food beforehand too. It runs about once a quarter - the best way to keep upto date with what is happening is via Tŷ Golchi's Twitter feed.
- Venue Cymru: newest of the Kill for a Seat North Wales set - usually first Friday of the month. Check the Venue Cymru website for listings. [Llandudno]
And there must be an honourable mention for:
- Pontio: Comedy Central Live is a monthly event held in Pontio's studio [Bangor]
Additional Venues (Touring Shows)
These venues have touring big name shows, Glyndŵr University the most regularly.
- GLYNDŴR UNIVERSITY EVENTS
- THEATR CLWYD
- THEATR COLWYN
- VENUE CYMRU
North Wales Comedy Festivals
- MACHYNLLETH COMEDY FESTIVAL
End of April of every year - big names and some early Edinburgh preview shows